Sunday, September 30, 2012

Cloth Diaper

I have decided to use cloth diapers with our new little guy coming in December.

I enjoy saving money, maybe more than spending it!

I like spending on experiences, vacations and family times, but I really don't like spending money on things I throw away.  Things like paper towels, expensive toilet paper, zip top bags, paper cups and plates are wonderful to have, but annoying because I'm essentially paying for something to use one time and throw away. 

As I think on the coming years of baby wonder, I don't relish the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on diapers and wipes to let baby make a mess on and then throw away.   I would so much rather work a little more to wash and save up and buy a plane ticket to see my precious family in California and Arizona.

So I began my quest of cloth diapering.  Man, there are many options!  It's not grandma's diaper and pins anymore, thankfully!

As I sorted through these piles of options, I was shocked to see how much diapering could cost.  The point of using cloth is to save money right?!

Some diapers were so expensive that I couldn't imagine spending all the money up-front to save money eventually.

So I googled and read and found that I can make my own diapers. I dusted off the old Singer and got to work. I did buy some materials, but mostly I upcycled fabric!

I bought some water proof covers for them to keep all dry and tidy.

This is a fitted diaper.  I made it out of Grandma Smith's towels.

I lined it with new fleece so that baby will feel dry! Added elastic for a better fit.

I left the pocket open so I can add a more absorbency if needed.

This funky pattern is called a Quick Flap Wrap Snap- you fold in those wings to make a soaker-

OFWS folded up.




No comments:

Post a Comment