Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Freezer cooking

In anticipation for the holiday season and the birth of our baby, I have decided to do some bulk cooking to put in the freezer.

This week the stores have great sales, so here I go.

Pork Roast .88 cents a pound
ground beef 2.00 a pound and
chicken quarters .59 a pound
Sausage .99 a pound

Today I spent a lot of time cooking 30 pounds of chicken quarters.  Then I boned it and shredded it- blech!!

I ended up with around 100oz of chicken, great right?

Well I spent $18 for 30 pounds of chicken.  It was reduced to around 7 pounds of chicken after cooking and throwing away bones and skin.  That is about 2.80 a pound.  Moral of the story...  next time boneless skinless chicken is on sale for 1.99 buy it and save a lot of work! :)

Tomorrow I'll continue my quest for 60 freezer meals...

I sat at the table while I shredded though and watched a great movie- Take Me Home.  It's and independent film about driving cross country in a cab and the relationship that ensues.  I really enjoyed it.

5 comments:

  1. LOL I am so sorry that you did all that work and figured it would be cheaper to buy boneless!! You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Now I can feel guilt-free for buying boneless chicken!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. on man, what a drag! At least you got to watch a good movie!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for doing the math! I'll remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where are you going to store 60 freezer meals?

    ReplyDelete